Sunday, June 3, 2007

Japanese Cuisine

Today we went out in order to celebrate Hiroki (My host brother) and Hideharu's (My host dad) birthdays which are this week. We headed into Shijo at around 5:00 to buy Hiroki's presents which were reasonably enviable. First stop was a Louis Vuitton outlet. Everything in that store was way out of my price range, that's for sure. He was looking for a small carry bag, but didn't like anything there so we soon headed for the Prada store. A small satchel-like bag (And by small I mean small) was settled on and cost about $700 Australian! Amazing. He also bought new, nice shoes for about $200.

After the shopping was over with, we made our way to the restaurant we'd be eating at. It was a small, but expensive, restaurant called せき川 (Sekigawa) a mere walk away from the main shopping street of Shijo. The restaurant was totally traditional Japanese food. Meaning lots of raw meats and seafoods were eaten, horse and whale meats included. I did not want to eat the whale meat at first, but my host family insisted so I thought I may as well try it. It was not revolting but very edible. Must have cost a fortune though.

As far as I could tell the horse meat was raw and very cold and chewy. Not really a remarkable taste either. But overall the meal was delicious and relatively filling while not being fatty at all. After eating lots at Western style restaurants you always feel bloated and large, but after this I felt the same as when I went in! Minus the stomach pains, of course, I was starving beforehand.

It was interesting to experience some of the more Japanese styled foods, and I was surprised that I actually liked most (If not all) of what was on offer!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...
Interesting! When in Rome etc...

Sure you couldn't have gotten me (mum) something smallish at the Prada store?? :) Actually no, don't want to use your entire years allowance on a keyring holder!!
Now THAT'S shopping!

Wish Hiroki & Hideharu a HAPPY BIRTHDAY from us all!

J+B+H

Will Barker said...

Man, that is insane... $700 on a stupid small bag. What a wasteful society we live in. An interesting fact that I learned today: Japan buys 70% of the world's luxury accesories (i.e. belts, perfumes, etc.). How amazing is that! You must be living with an uber rich family... o_o

...which can only be a good thing if you get to try all of those yummy foods! Very interesting to hear about how whale is.

x~BekKah~x said...

hey,

sorry i rarely ever comment back. by the time i finish my posts and emailing it's way too late. i'm so jealous that you get to give the australian presentations to the classes. it sounds like fun, yeha im kinda adding ur posts together.

how good is japanese food tho aye. i swear i could eat it for the rest of my life. it never feels fatty or gross, it's just so awesome. sorry i love it. although, i can't say i'd be too into trying out the raw horse meat and whale....

anyways, keep blogging

bek x

Anonymous said...

dannnnnng, louis vuitton and prada!! O_O that's some expensive stuff right there, haha

glad you are enjoying your meals!! i dunno if i could ever try horse meat, horses are so cute ;o;