Tuesday, May 29, 2007

No, I Don't Have a Girlfriend

I have been pretty slack regarding updating lately, for no good reason really. Whenever I have time I feel unmotivated to type anything up, and when I am motivated I have no time or access to a computer! Disaster in the making. But here I am, forcing myself to sit down and write a bit about what's gone on lately.

Last week was exams and as such I didn't have regular school, meaning lots of sleeping in was done and very litle time was spent at school. I had to go each day to work on my presentation for Australia, but apart from that I was fairly free. On Wednesday I went with the teacher in charge of me and the other foreign students, Yoshimi-sensei, and a foreign student from Germany named Miyako (She's 3 quarters Japanese) to an art shop in Shijo to take part in a lesson on dying handkerchiefs using a Kyoto technique. It was more fun than it sounds and was very enjoyable. After that we ate lunch at an Italian Family Restaurant which was great.

All this week I have presentations to give to various classes within the school on Australia. Yesterday I and the other foreign students presented to my class and another second year class, which went well. Some of the questions asked were a bit odd though. Naturally we got the standard 'Do you have a girlfriend?', 'Is there someone you like right now?' kind of questions, but for variety they also asked 'Are you hungry?' and 'What time is it?' :D

Today I presented to two first year classes in a row this morning by myself. It went fairly well, I think. The teacher was happy with it and he invited me to come back to the class at any time, which I may, since everyone was super nice!

I was thinking of joining Kendo club so yesterday after school I went to check it out. They practice from 4:30-6:30 every school day except Fridays, so it's pretty intense. I think I might take part though. The only thing I'm not sure of is the uniform and gear you need, which is really expensive. It would be nice if they had rental stuff, but the club doesn't seem that big or popular.

I've also managed to get out of Biology classes, since they were becoming a pain. In the classroom it's okay for me to tune out and do my own study, but in Biology we often go to the labs to do work and experiments etc. I can't follow the class sometimes and I felt like I was getting in the way when my friends had to help me out all the time. I've joined another second year English class now, and I've gained some more self-study periods in the Library... which I can't say I'm too fond of, I'm hoping to get them switched into some classes soon though.

I also talked to my family last week about switching host families at some point. I really want to go ahead with it, since I want to try and experience as much different stuff here as I possibly can. While spending the year with this family would be amazing, and really comfortable for me, I can't help but feel I could experience so much more! I think if I didn't change at some point I would regret it. I'm hoping I can move around the start of Summer vacation in late July/early August, but I'll need to talk to my coordinator about it.

And that's about all I can think of to say really! I will try and update every few days, but if I disappear for awhile I wouldn't say that's unusual haha.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAGH!
Looked up Kendo....scary! Do ppl get HURT?? Could be fun...?!

Presentations sound like fun...did you have any props/material to show...knew you should have packed some "aussie stuff" :p

Changing families would be an experience...tho you could lose your ensuite, but you shouldn't get too used to that anyway :)
The Tomori's certainly have been wonderful!

cheers
J+B+H

Will Barker said...

*Insert obligatory sweet post comment.*

Really enjoy your writing style, Kas.

You should join the Kendo club, it would be so worth it. Although the equiptment sounds expensive you would get a lot of use out of it. Also you would finally build some weight into your body if they have 'kintore' (kinnikutoreininngu, muscle building) like most other clubs do.

Don't be soft about the time you spend there though. My club (Tennis) goes from 3:30pm to an average of 7pm and afterwards it takes me an hour and ten to get home! More than a few times I haven't gotten home 'til after nine. It feels that I have accomplished stuff though, and the friendship and tennis is fun so it is worth it. Sucks that there is no self-study time for Japanese though >_<

Anonymous said...

whatz with " i dont have a gf?? lol" are there many girls chasing you around?:P

take care~ chrissy

Anonymous said...

Hey Kas this is Cass (Your favourite cousion). haha i know so lame. Anyway your parents showed me this photo of this girl and our whole family was quite excited at the prospect of a relationship. Any chance? Nanna approves. Looks like ure having a great time! Aunty Anna sends you a big kiss!!Cya