Thursday, April 19, 2007

Thursday the 19th (I Blame Lack of Inspiration)

It's been almost a week since I updated so I thought I'd better get around to doing it sooner, rather than later. This week seemed to fly by; I'm more than a little surprised at how quickly actually. So I guess I should try to recall some major events and summarise them. The biggest thing that happened this week wasn't too good; I noticed my camera had gone missing. After scouring the house for it and trying to remember when I last had it I came up with very few leads... it's possible I lost it or it got pinched at school, but it's hard to tell. I'm going to the police station tomorrow with my head teacher to file for a police report which I need to claim it on insurance...

Anyway, on the weekend I went to Shijo with my host brother Hiroki. Shijo is a very busy, and very big shopping street in Kyoto with tonnes of department stores, restaurants and the like. Essentially it's shopping heaven. We visited Daimaru and some other stores but I didn't buy much at all. I'm being careful about spending much money at all at the moment, since I need to buy a mobile phone next week when I pick up my Alien Registation Card.

This week has been great for me, although there were down points where I just missed things in Australia. I guess the food is one of the major things. What I would give for some salty chips and tomato sauce right now! Or at least some cereal! I haven't even eaten tomato sauce since I came here, and while Japan has tonnes of salty foods, they don't put much salt on potatoes... why!? Haha. The food has been easier to get used to than I first thought though. I still don't like natto, and miso is a bit too salty for my liking (Miso Soup is fine) but the other night I ate a whole squid for dinner, something I could never ever see myself doing in the past. It was good - squid and octopus are my new favourite seafoods.

I'm feeling more and more at home in Kyoto every day I think. Especially since I've started to get closer to my friends at school. At the moment most of my joy on school days comes from them. During home room and most classes I sit next to a girl named Oda and Azusa (Who I mentioned earlier on) sits infront of Oda - they're probably two of the more funny people I've met at school so far.

The last few periods of school today were pretty uninteresting though. Everyone went for a health/body check which I didn't need to attend, so I had to stay in the classroom - by myself! After 40 minutes or so Hiroki turned up and we eventually went home at about 2:00 though, so it was an early finish for me.

I think I've become somewhat famous at school. People I don't know call out my name and wave, it's the oddest thing ever. I love Japan. Haha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...hahaha, I can see you getting used to fame XD.

I don't know why but the way you write your blog makes me think of a Chinese or Korean drama....which is the point, isn't it? lol.

I am glad you are having a good time.

Your school is one of the 'alternative' ones right?